Digital Foundations II: Max7 Project

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 2.55.16 PM.png

For my Max7 project, I attempted to visualize the colors in music. I started off by using the patternizr patch and having it connect to a video viewer so that when I opened an audio file it would react with the patternizr and create different colors. Messing around with the different linear lines, such as cosine or cosine inverse created bright, red-pink tones and sin or sin inverse created blue tones. Although this had somewhat of the effect I wanted, it needed something more to make it more interactive and more complex.

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 2.55.25 PM.png

Wanting to go a step further than simply using an audio file, I wanted to be able to have my own voice, or anyone’s voice, interact with the patternizr. I set up a patch that allowed my computer’s microphone to pick up, record, and play any audio or sound it heard so that, hopefully, it would connect with the patternizr and cause the same effect as when I used an audio file off my computer.

As the video shows above, when using the audio file with the patternizr and playing around with the different functions and controls it creates the sort of “synesthesia” effect I  was going for. By hooking up the microphone input, I was hoping for the same sort of effect while using “real-time” sounds to react with the patternizr, but it proved a bit more difficult than I first thought. I played around by trying to connect different toggles, outputs, and objects to patternizr in many attempts to get it to work. I also tried to get the millisecond duration controls for recording audio sounds to remain while the patch was locked, so that the length of audio recorded could be adjusted, but I haven’t figured that out quite yet. The microphone in computer, however, does seem to be picking up audio and I can record sound, but only for a few seconds at a time. Getting it to react with patternizr is something I am still trying to figure out at the moment.

In terms of my “big idea” at the start of this project, I feel that I am close to achieving the goal I was originally aiming for, which was to create an almost synesthesia effect when audio or sound reacted with patternizr in Max7. Although I couldn’t get my Max7 project to work at it’s ultimate potential, I feel that if I keep working through the issues at hand, it could become something with potential. This is definitely a project I will have to continue forward with, whether it be adding more to it or fixing current issues, in the future. This project could very well serve as a good piece towards my senior portfolio in the years to come during my time at college.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Non-timedbased and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s